Toward the end of the Barone's piece, he says this (bold emphasis mine):
"What's curious is that congressional Democrats don't seem much interested in what's actually happening in Iraq. The commander in Iraq, Gen. David Petraeus, returns to Washington this week, but last week Pelosi's office said 'scheduling conflicts' prevented him from briefing House members. Two days later, the members-only meeting was scheduled, but the episode brings to mind the fact that Pelosi and other top House Democrats skipped a Pentagon videoconference with Petraeus on March 8."
Huston adds at his Newsbusters thread:
"It has also been reported that one recent meeting with Gen. Petraeus on the Hill only saw one Democrat in attendance, that being Senator Carl Levin of Michigan."
This revealing piece of information raises some very important questions.
- Are the Congressional Democrats really so busy ensuring Spinach and Dairy Farmers are fat and happy on your money that they cannot make time to hear a briefing from the Commander on the Ground in Iraq?
- Can the Democrats in Congress really claim to be concerned about the "slaughter" of American Troops in Iraq if they won't make time to at least ask hard questions of their Commander about situations on the ground? Patraeus's briefing doesn't need to be a pep rally - Democrats in Congress can push him for answers to their concerns if they are truly concerned about the "slaughter" of American Troops.
- Could it be their reluctance to make time for Patraeus is simply because they fear anyone in the media getting a hold of success stories of the Surge and broadcasting them to the public? You think Ebenezer Reid is losing sleep over that possibility?
- Can we all now agree that the Democrats will accept nothing less than a Vietnam Redux in Iraq? If you've been watching their pork-filled, dishonest antics and find it in your heart to give them the benefit of the doubt, will this change your mind? In the age of "Consensus", can we now say the consensus is the Left in this country (especially the Power Whores on Capitol Hill) has no desire for victory?
Truth is, Democrats are scared to death of anything that will contradict Ebenezer Reid's assessment from a few days ago (see my post about three down). Again, here you have leaders of an elected party that are hellbent on ensuring our defeat in Iraq
- Despite the fact that it will render any needed threats of force in the future as utterly impotent, especially against Sudan, Iran and North Korea.
- Will embolden despots around the world (including the Red Chinese and their designs on Taiwan - that's just the tip of the iceburg)
- Will turn Iraq into a haven for Islamofascism
- Will discourage dissidents around the globe from throwing off the shackles of tyrants
Yet they don't give a rat's ass about it - to them, as long as it shames GWB and helps them solidify their power in the 2008, its worth it.
I have said it before, folks. Its fitting that their party symbol is a jackass.