Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I Took The Timer Down Too Soon

Remember Bill Clinton, in early 1993? Regarding your middle class tax cut and the fact that he "would not raise taxes on the middle class to pay for (his) programs"? He said:

"I had hoped to invest in your future by creating jobs, expanding education, reforming health care, and reducing the deficit without asking more of you. And I’ve worked harder than I’ve ever worked in my life to meet that goal. But I can’t because the deficit has increased so much beyond even the worst Government estimates from last year. We just have to face the fact that to make the changes our country needs, more Americans must contribute today so that all Americans can do better tomorrow."


Remember Barack Obama, all throughout the 2008 campaign, pledging not raise a single dime of taxes on anyone making less than $250K a year?

From George Will's Column via IBD Editorials, today:

"At the June 29 White House briefing, press secretary Robert Gibbs was asked, with reference to health care legislation, if the president's pledge not to raise taxes on couples making less than $250,000 is 'still active.' Gibbs answered:

'We are going to let the process work its way through.'"


Remember me predicting this?
Before the election? What's the wager that my prediction will come true? How often are vapid supporters of Democratic "Change", whether in 1992 or 2008 or ?, going to continue to trumpet the pledge of their darling of the hour to not raise taxes on this group or that group, only to reverse that pledge once entrenched in office?

Remember the timer I had on the sidebar of this page, counting down how long it was going to take Obama to start asking for higher taxes for everyone? I took it down because I figured he was going to raise taxes in stealth fashion (i.e., cap and trade) rather than a full frontal "screw you" to his supporters banking on his no-new-taxes-for-the-middle-class pledge. Looks like I should put it back up, that may just happen.

Change you can believe in, baby... just not change in tactic.