Monday, December 1, 2008

I Love This Video

I've heard many good things about the band 3 Doors Down - they've done much charity work on behalf of the victims of Hurricane Katrina, and, at the risk of sounding biased, they are the epitome of Southern Class. That is, they are men who see themselves as proud Americans (check out their live album Another 700 Miles, when they introduce the song "Love Me When I'm Gone") and, rather than act as arrogant celebrities, they use this video to show a Southernly Gentleman's disposition to protect the least among us... rather than referring to women as tools and objects.

Great video. What I love about the hero in this video: he's the classic man of our generation who has a hip look and is obsessed with protecting the innocent. This video is awesome - if I'm at the gym and this video comes on the tv screen at my elliptical - it makes me want to go for another hour.

Enjoy.

***Update***

12/5 - Ok, I'm taking a breather from a busy workday to update my comments/clarify that last paragraph about the hero in this video.

One of the big gripes that I have about the perception of "conservatives" is that we are this lifeless, shirt and tie, milquetoast bunch who have no personality and live our lives in Bible Study (nothing wrong with Bible Study, relax). Conservatism/Reagan Republicanism is not a look or an identity. Its not confined to that. Its a belief system and a worldview that transcends such things. Irrespective of how we dress or what music we listen to, we believe in the rights of people to be free from abusive government, for people to live free from tyranny, and for everyone to have the opportunity to let that freedom manifest itself in wealth and comfort as a reward of pursuing personal greatness. Most importantly, we believe in protecting those who can't protect themselves. That is a cornerstone of who we are, and I think the hero in this video with his obsession of saving this woman from the impending accident personifies that beautifully.

I was chatting with a friend not too long ago about my desire to grow a goatee and how I had been flirting with the idea of piercing my tongue (my wife would kill me twice over if I did). "But," he responded, "you're a conservative. I thought you didn't do those things." That frustrates me. And that's why I enjoyed the hero in this video so much, dreds and all.